The History of CFS Regina
Archbishop Monahan envisioned a Catholic Social Service Agency for Regina in 1934 and made an appeal to the Sisters of St Martha of Antigonish, Nova Scotia who had expertise in health care and social work, to bring their expertise to Regina. Several sisters were sent in 1936 by Mother Superior Ignatius, included were Sister Mary Gilbert Ernewein, Sister Maurice Brocklehurst, Mother Faustina who were to establish a hospital for single expectant mothers and a home for the women and their babies while they considered their options. In addition, two sisters trained in social work, Sister Mary Alexandria MacKenzie and Sister Joseph Helen Mulvihill came to establish a social welfare agency. These two remarkable women, along with several lay board members established the Catholic Welfare Society on August 7, 1937.
Change To CFS
In 1947 the Archbishop relinquished oversight of the Society so the Board could seek out other sources of funding such as the Community Chest which eventually became the Regina United Way.
In 1972 the Sisters of St. Martha turned over the operations of the agency to lay leadership and professional counsellors and social workers.
Where We Are Today
The first offices of the Society were housed in the Catholic Centre which was adjacent to Blessed Sacrament Church on Scarth Street. It moved to 1120 11th Avenue just off Quebec Street in 1970 and since then, has had five other locations: 425 15th Avenue (Jean Vanier School site) in 1983, 445 Broad Street North (St. Anne School site) in 1993, 974 Albert Street in 2008 and 160 McIntosh Street (formerly Dales House) in 2016.